Woodwind Designer, Repairman, Photographer, Movie Producer all around fun guy….
- 1956 Started playing the clarinet
- 1963 Graduated from High School in Oklahoma
- 1963 – 1966 25th Infantry Band Scofield Barracks Hawaii.. not bad if you have to be in the Army!
- 1966 – 1972 Traveled as a musician around the US playing in Rock bands.
- 1972 – 1977 Had a repair shop in Denton Texas next to North Texas State University. Co-authored a saxophone book entitled “High Notes for the Saxophone” with Dan Higgins.
- 1977 Moved to Los Angeles California and opened a Saxophone Repair Shop called the Sax Shop. His repair clients over the years included many of the world’s most famous saxophone players. Kenny G, Dave Koz, Sam Riney, Dan Higgins, Gary Foster, “Doc” Kupka form Tower of Power, John Klemmer, Lee Konitz, Jack Nimitz, Lanny Morgan, Med Flory, Tom Scott, Michael Brecker, Leo Potts, Gerald Albright, Eddie Harris, Wilt Chamberlain (Tenor sax),
Tommy Newsom, Eric Marienthal, Bobby Shew (Tenor), Dave Leibmen, James Moody, Benny Golson, Lennie Niehaus, Clint Eastwood, Phyllis Diller(soprano sax), David Stanton to list a few..
During this time Mr. Allen had many varied enterprises.
- 1999 – Designed the Inter-Change-a-Bore Clarinet Barrel System with Bob Malone. Rheuben along with Bob Malone developed and designed the Inter-Change-A-Bore clarinet barrel. It’s unique design and use of bronze in the barrel bore gives it the fastest response of any clarinet barrel on the market. The barrel has a very balanced tone color and great intonation.
- 1995 – Gave lectures on repair and design at many universities including Cal State Long Beach for saxophone teacher Leo Potts.
- 1997 – 1998 Taught Woodwind and brass repair for the US Air Force to Air Force Band Repairman.
- 1983 – Formed the Hollywood Clarinet Quartet and performed at the Flagstaff International Clarinet convention as YAMAHA Artist. Other members of the Quartet includes Lee Callet, Don Markese and Bev Dahlke. The group recorded one CD titled
On the Cool Side”.
- 1992 – 1996 Produced several low budget action-adventure movies with his company Allen-Kizziah Entertainment. “Run for the Border” being the most successful.
- Set up movie production company “100 Point Films” with his friend Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt died early and the company was discontinued.
- Provided instruments and sidelined in “Lush Life” starting Jeff Goldblum and Forest Whittaker. Rheuben and the Sax Shop received name credit at the end of the movie.
- As a photographer Mr. Allen took the photos for the Bobby Shew and Alan Goodman posters for YAMAHA. He has also done many CD covers and has a line of posters and greeting cards he has taken.
- Since 2005 Rheuben has traveled back and forth between the US, Mainland China and Taiwan to develop new saxophone models. Including the Kenny G Saxophones, the Rheuben Allen® Saxophones, ZephyrWinds® Brass, Paris Master Model® Clarinets, AV Prestige® Clarinets and many more instruments.
- The design and manufacturing of new woodwinds & accessories. The first is the design of the new Kenny G line of saxophones.kennygsaxophones.com Along with Kenny, Rheuben has developed a unique line of saxophones including the new the New G-Series IV Straight Soprano, The G-Series IV Altos, Tenors and Low A Baritones Saxophones and a complete line of Rheuben Allen® Saxophones and clarinets
- Mr. Allen’s latest project is the Rheuben Allen Education Foundation that provides underprivileged children with musical instrument. www.rheuben.org
- Rheuben has also formed the New Hollywood Clarinet Quartet with David Stanton, Mike Vaccaro and Greg Huckins (Bass Clarinet) also featuring Geoff Nudell (Bass Clarinet and of course B-flat Clarinet) as the player who plays any part we need him to….